Before we get to the salad, let’s take a look at part of the dressing which is made with tahini which is a sesame paste.
You can buy this at the store but it is much better homemade and less expensive. And, it so easy to do. Tahini is simply sesame seeds toasted and ground with olive oil. That’s it.
To Make Tahini (makes 3/4 tahini paste):
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp organic olive oil (may need up to 1/3 cup)
- over medium high heat toast sesame seeds (no oil, nothing)
- stir frequently until brown (golden), don’t burn
- cool for about 10 minutes
- add to blender and add olive oil, as you blend check for consistency, may need to add more olive oil for the thickness you want, can make it somewhat pourable or thicker
- place paste in a jar and store in refrigerator (keeps for several months)
Now that you have the tahini paste it’s time to make the salad. This salad is made with broccoli and gogi berries and the dressing will be creamy. This is a vegan salad. Can be served warm or cold.
Broccoli and Goji Berry Salad With Tahini, Serves 4, Ingredients:
- 2 broccoli heads with stems, cut up
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ cup gogi berries
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1\2 cup tahini paste
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp mustard powder, can use brown mustard and horseradish (¼ cup)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar, can use apple vinegar or even balsamic
- 4 tbsp organic olive oil
- water to create desired thickness
- steam broccoli till tender crisp, rinse in ice bath to stop cooking
- make dressing – put garlic in blender to mince, then tahini, yeast, paprika, mustard, turmeric, cider vinegar and olive oil. Blend until smooth and creamy. Should be somewhat thick. If too thick add 1 tsp of water at a time till you get the consistency you want.
- In a large bowl, mix broccoli and onions. Toss with dressing and top with gogi berries and pumpkin seeds if you have them. Serve warm or cold.