Those who live a Vegan lifestyle may sometimes become bored and feel restricted by the foods that they are able to eat. A true Vegan does not consume any foods that are derived from animals but at some point, you start to wonder as a non-Vegan whether or not these people are getting the true nutrients that they need.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
While ALA fatty acids can be found in seeds and nuts that can be consumed by Vegan, the two most crucial fatty acids EPA and DHA are found in fish oil. While taking fish oil supplements is a good way of putting the right type of fatty acids into your body, you may become tired of taking pills. Seafood offers a healthy amount of Omega 3 and the best source is found in anchovies, sardines, tuna, salmon and herring to name a few. Omega 3 is known to promote excellent mental health, lowers inflammation and can improve lung function. Another thing to note is that even though Omega 3 is a very important nutrient for positive health, the human body cannot produce it by itself.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Mayonnaise Free Tuna Salad
No-Mayonnaise Tuna Snack – Tuna prepared as stated below is a nice, zesty snack to go on crackers anytime of the day!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- 1 can white albacore tuna
- 1 dill diced pickle
- 1 diced celery rib
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1 lemon wedge, juiced
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Black pepper
- Lemon pepper
- Dill weed
- Green onion garnish
Instructions: Simply add all ingredients together in a bowl, mix well.
Baked Tofu – Try this savory baked tofu with some baked veggies.
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 40 min
Total time: 1 hr 10 min
- 1 block firm tofu, cut into rectangles
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, stripped
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon steak seasoning
- a dash of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a baking pan (9×9) with non-stick spray.
- Put tofu pieces on top of a plate covered with a paper towel
- Place another paper towel on top of them and cover with another plate
- The excess water will leave the tofu if you leave it out for 20 minutes
- Mix the spices together in a bowl
- Sprinkle spice mixture evenly onto both sides of tofu.
- Bake 20 minutes and flip
- Bake for approximately 20 more minutes
Vegan Life Style