No doubt you may have experienced weight-loss plateau along with countless other people. At first, you lose weight and you’re following a proper diet and exercising regularly.
You’re so pleased but all of a sudden you don’t lose weight any more. What happened? No need to worry. Your body is programmed to do this particularly if you’re taking in fewer calories. Exactly how does a weight loss plateau occur? Well, the first couple of weeks you’re on your diet you will be taking in fewer calories. Your body will make adjustments by calling out stores of glycogen (complex glucose sugar storage molecules) from the liver and muscle to use as an energy source to make ATP, the energy currency of the cell. Glycogen is hydrated with water so when glycogen is released it also releases water with it. So, initially the major part of your weight loss is water weight. Remember, water is really heavy stuff.
Burning less calories – get help!
Eventually, you burn fewer and fewer calories as your weight drops and the excess water is gone. Right about this time, a new balance is established and weight loss reaches a plateau and weight loss stops. With this new balance, calories in equal calories out. At this point, you’ll maintain your current weight but won’t be able to lose any more.
Now, you have to ask yourself the question, do you want to lose more weight or stay where you are. Obviously, your going to have to alter something if you want to lose more weight. The tips below emphasize changes in diet and exercise to get below the plateau.
Weight Loss Plateau Tips
Helpful Tips for Getting Past the Plateau
- Try adding more dark green leafy veggies to your diet like kale and spinach. This is probably best done by making a smoothie of which you can add a protein powder to aid in building lean muscle mass. Stay away from white rice and potatoes but brown and wild rice is okay.
- Add fibrous veggies such as broccoli and cauliflower. These carry powerful antioxidants and fiber. Fiber is important for making you feel full and maintains a healthy intestinal tract. These veggies are very low cal.
- Consume more legumes like beans. These contain high concentrations of fiber and protein as well as complex carbohydrates. They’re full of minerals as well. These are very filling and highly nutritious. Kidney beans are especially good but black beans and garbanzos are also tasty.
- Diversify your physical activities by walking or bicycling. Going to the gym is fine but you probably drive your car there so get out and do other activities. Try some aerobics or yoga perhaps even Zumba. If you have a dog, take it to the park and walk around the nature trails.
- Take the time to reflect on your weight loss goals. Perhaps you’re familiar with meditation, try that. Get into a calm and relaxed state and release stress. Think of cool water ponds or babbling brooks. I always find that water is very soothing. The fact that you have reached a plateau is good in that you have lost weight and are successful to this point. Now it is time to do a rethink to get to the next level.
Weight Loss Plateau
- MedicineNet.com - Phentermine Weight Loss Drug Side Effects, Dosage, Safety & Alcohol Effects.
- RXList.com - Phentermine (phentermine hydrochloride): Side Effects, Dosages, Treatment, Interactions, Warnings
- EverydayHealth.com - Phentermine Reviews - Everyday Health
- HealthLine.com - Phentermine - Side Effects, Dosage, Uses, and More.
(Last Updated On: 9th August 2020)