Now that summer is here, picnics become very popular and many families will want to barbecue (whether vegan or meat-lovers).
Although baked beans are always a good choice as a side, you might want to veer away from mac and cheese (dairy) and the ever popular forms of potato salad (eggs in salad or mayonnaise).
You may have vegetarians or vegans stopping by. If this is the case, a Kohlrabi salad is a good idea and this can be served as a main dish not just a side. This colorful salad is easy to make and is high in fiber, proteins and antioxidants that can be topped with a veggie dressing. What more do you need!
Some of you may not be familiar with kohlrabi or perhaps you’ve been afraid to buy it because you don’t know what to do with it. The bulb of this plant is similar to cabbage and it has stems that taste somewhat like broccoli. It is crunchy, juicy and sweet. I know I like to eat the bulb like an apple and in fact many other people do as well. The stems have leaves at the end and these leaves can be used as greenery not unlike kale in a salad. Essentially all parts of the plant are edible.
This plant is a powerhouse of nutrition. It contains a high concentration of vitamins A, C, niacin, B6, thiamin and pantothenic acid. So it is rich in vitamin Bs. Kohlrabi contains anti-inflammatory agents that help fight against cancer and act as an immune booster. This lowers your chances for heart disease, vascular problems and age-related brain diseases. It also contains minerals such as iron potassium, copper, calcium and manganese. Manganese is an important co-factor which activates the enzyme Superoxide dismutase. Superoxide dismutase is a powerful antioxidant that your body makes to ward against free-radicals decreasing an inflammatory response.
A kohlrabi salad is far better than coleslaw in that it is more nutritious, flavorful and colorful. Your vegan/veggie friends will really appreciate it. Consider trying the recipe below.
How to Make Kohlrabi Salad?
- Buy 1 large (or two small) kohlrabi (use bulb only, peel and grate like cabbage)
- 1 small red cabbage grated
- 1 or 2 medium carrots, can leave peel on if cleaned properly and grate
- small red onion or 6 leaks chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup craisins or raisins (can also use mandarin oranges)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar or juice and zest of 1 lemon or lime
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard or brown mustard with horseradish
- 3/4 cup organic olive oil
Combine all veggies and fruits together in a large bowl. To prepare the dressing, whisk sugar, vinegar or lemon, mustard and olive oil. Pour dressing over salad and toss until coated well. This is best if served cold so store in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving.
- MedicineNet.com - Phentermine Weight Loss Drug Side Effects, Dosage, Safety & Alcohol Effects.
- RXList.com - Phentermine (phentermine hydrochloride): Side Effects, Dosages, Treatment, Interactions, Warnings
- EverydayHealth.com - Phentermine Reviews - Everyday Health
- HealthLine.com - Phentermine - Side Effects, Dosage, Uses, and More.
(Last Updated On: 22nd September 2021)